Any Use of Spaced Repetition/Incremental Reading?

Hello everyone, first-time poster here who just discovered Org-Roam this week.

I was poking around for a way to cobble together a bunch of Learning/Knowledge Management ideas using Emacs, and I happened to stumble on Org-Roam, which seems like exactly what I didn’t even know I wanted. I’m still getting set up and comfortable with it, but I have a question about a possible extension:

Has anyone incorporated any kind of spaced repetition to their workflow with Org-Roam? I saw Org-FC mentioned in the appendix of the documentation, but I haven’t done anything with it yet.

I’m specifically interested in Incremental Reading, which I think the ecosystem ought to support with a little configuration.

Even if nobody else has given this a shot, I’ll share my efforts once I start working on getting it up and running, but I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel if anybody has more thoughts than you can find at the Emacs Wiki incremental reading page or the Org-Drill page.

1 Like

I think some people have used Anki for spaced repetition, I would look at this thread …

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the link, that package certainly looks great, and I plan to start using it with my basic flashcards. I’ve been hoping to find a way, though, to use an in-Emacs spaced repetition package, like org-drill (linked above) or org-fc in order to present information within emacs.

One example workflow might be to put my fleeting thoughts into spaced repetition in order to prompt me to refine them into permanent slips. If I wasn’t ready to work on it, I could “remember” it and have it pop up later.

Another might be to have a longer captured excerpt pop up based on the SRS algorithm and then I could capture some portion of it to create a new note with a backlink to the longer piece.

As I said in the OP, I’m still getting comfortable with the more basic functions of org-roam, but I look forward to trying to build out some workflows like the above.

I’m very interested in this - I’ve been using Anki/AnkiEditor, but so far it’s more to remember facts than for incremental reading. I’d like to use it for that too and would be interested to hear in any solution you come up with.

This post on How to build a spaced repetition system in Roam Research might be an interesting approach for a way to leverage SRS in org-roam that doesn’t require any additional package at all.

Andy Matuschak has some good notes on spaced repetition for application, synthesis and creation.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for those links! I wasn’t able to read the first without a membership, which was disappointing, but Andy Matuschak’s thoughts were really interesting and useful. I’ve vaguely tried some variations similar to what he talks about, like using some Anki cards to remind me to apply something, rather than just remember it, but his framework is much more complete. I could see that idea working nicely with org-roam by having a card that has links to others in an SRS set up, and the prompt is to read through the links or look for more connections and link them.

Hi there,
Your question triggered me to share my basic way of doing spaced repetition in org mode. I recently integrated org-roam into it by using custom Elisp links in my agenda.
Give a look to https://ag91.github.io/blog/2020/09/04/the-poor-org-user-spaced-repetition/ if you are curious!