Org-persist error on startup

All of a sudden I get this error when starting Emacs:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function org-file-name-concat) org-file-name-concat("~/.emacs.d-ae/" "org-persist")
I also asked on Symbol’s function definition is void: org-file-name-concat · Issue #1916 · org-roam/org-roam · GitHub
but haven’t seen a resolution on this problem.
Emacs 27.1, org mode 9.5.2, straight.

Is it the same as this issue?

I do not see how it is related to Org-roam; you might get a better support in Straight’s GitHub issue, StackExhange or Reddit, perhaps?

I’m using Doom and Doom’s using Straight. Once in a while after an upgrade, I hit these void-function or void-variable errors on startup. They are typically cured by rm -rf Straight build and repo (just to be sure) directories and restarting Emacs. No need to delete all packages, just the offending ones and related to them, e.g. Org, Org-roam, Org-…

On the linked reddit page, moving (straight-use-package 'org) to the top of my init solved the org-persist problem. But now it falls over (void-function org-superstar-remove-leading-stars) (org-superstar-remove-leading-stars t).
I started with a fresh straight build as @mshevchuk suggested, but to no avail (not using Doom btw).

I got that fixed, has a stray parenthesis. But what bugs me is when loading Emacs, it reports and drops in the debugger with an Invalid face. When I eval (set-face-attribute 'org-superstar-header-bullet nil :height 0.8) it works just fine. Is the variable not instantiated yet?
As @nobiot suggested: perhaps I should continue my debugging questions at the straight support.

Yes, looks like you call (set-face-attribute 'org-superstar-header-bullet ...) before org-superstar is loaded. Best of all to wrap such code into (with-eval-after-load 'org-superstar ...). In fact, as much of config code as possible. If you use use-package, put it in the :config section (no with-eval-after-load needed anymore).

Great that finally worked! I did try to put it in :config after reading the use-package documentation, now it works. In the docs there’s also a special option for custom face settings like so:
:custom-face (org-superstar-headline-bullet ((t (:height 0.8)))))
That didn’t work like I would expect it to.
Anyway, we got over the hurdle, thanks!

1 Like