"Symbol’s function definition is void: evil-redirect-digit-argument" when doing org-roam-dailies-capture-today

This just started happening today, not sure why. I’m using spacemacs, here’s my setup:

Copy info below this line into issue:

• Emacs: GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
    of 2021-10-26
  • Framework: Spacemacs
  • Org: Org mode version 9.4.6 (9.4.6-13-g4be129-elpa @ /home/caleb/.emacs.d/elpa/27.2/develop/org-20210920/)
  • Org-roam: 2.1.0

I know there’s a new version of org, so I might try upgrading separate from spacemacs if I can figure out how

The error (Symbol’s function definition is void) means Emacs cannot find the function named evil-redirect-digit-argument at the time when you do org-roam-dailies-capture-today.

So the first thing I would look at is evil-mode – perhaps you can update it, or if it is deeply embedded in the core of Spacemacs, update Spacemacs together with Evil mode.

Alternatively, I would look at my own configuration in this case. Org-roam is not dependent on Evil mode, so this error from Org-roam-dailies can be coming from your personal configuration, somehow in combination with Spacemacs, Evil-mode, and Org-roam…

Ok, that’s what I suspected, I"m gonna try a full wipe, thank you!

I have just run into this issue too, but after updating spacemacs, packages etc I still have the same issue - would be interested to know if you get it working.

hmm so the error lies with the evil-org package, discussion here: `evil-redirect-digit-argument` removed from evil · Issue #93 · Somelauw/evil-org-mode · GitHub

That comment in particular has a temporary fix which I put in in my user-init function and goto-dailies works again!

1 Like