Zetteldesk.el - A Revision and Outlining tool built on top of Org-Roam

Hello everyone,

You might have heard of my new package zetteldesk.el from the reddit post on it. Its a tool built on top of org-roam for organizing your work on a topic with a more streamlined workflow based on the “desktop” concept briefly mentioned in the book “How to Take Smart Notes”.

I thought its a good idea to post this here as well so more people hear about it. Please tell me what you think on it, would love to hear your opinion on it.

2 Likes

Interesting. Just so I know what it’s for, do you mean “review” instead of “revise?”

I definitely do mean revise. A lot of this code was written to aid me in doing a more efficient revision on my courses for university.

However, this can probably also be used as a tool for doing reviews

I think what @scotto is asking is: is this about (a) reviewing, that is, re-reading, studying, (i.e., what you would do for a university course; looking back over notes), or is it (b) revising, that is, rewriting: changing the contents, as one would revise a paper after its first draft.

Ok, I see. I personally use the term revision for that, as review can in general mean a lot of things, and the first that comes to mind for me is definitely not this, while this is the first thing that comes to my mind when talking about a revision. May be due to how these are translated in my language. But yeah, I can understand what you mean.

In the aforementioned case this is mostly a tool to aid you when you want to study on a topic, as I originally conceived this as a way to get the most out of my zettelkasten during uni exams. Rewriting notes after you have more information, is something that the zettelkasten makes you do a lot of the time, as you don’t want to let the new information leave your head before writing it down. But since its a rather cognitive task, I don’t think its well assisted by bonus libraries. The idea of the zettelkasten and its implementation in org-roam, should be enough digital tools to make you rewrite things as you see fit. The only 2 things you need is the information in your head (or written somewhere in a crude way) and a system that can resurface those thoughts easily so you don’t go looking for them (org-roam in this case).

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

1 Like

I’m enjoying zetteldesk so far. It works nicely on top of emacs without the issues with dependencies I had in org-roam, especially when working with different machines at home and the office. It has good functionality and it entered easily in my workflow. I tried it with a small sample of my org-roam notes but migrating a large number of notes will be an issue for users who have invested lots of time building their zettelkasten. Can you provide some migration hints?

The idea of this package is to be able to select a specific subset of your org-roam repository and allow you to view/manipulate etc. only that part, ignoring the rest. For this reason, I think it scales well with large zettelkastens. I actually made this as a tool to be able to work better with my zettelkasten as it has gotten more sizeable.

In my opinion, related nodes should be linked with each other and most will point to an index file. This is why I have the zetteldesk-add-backlinks-to-desktop function, for doing quick addition of files. No matter the total size of it, through this you should be able to get most of what you need in the zetteldesk, as it will most likely be nodes linked to each other or to the index. So adding the index, the most important nodes and their backlinks (which shouldn’t be hard) should lead you to what you want to write. However I am open to new addition functions people would find useful.

Except if I am misunderstanding something in your question, migration should not be necessary. Its just a means to collect your nodes in a systematic way, mainly through their backlinks