Using org-roam with ido,

I’m using org-roam with (setq org-roam-completion-system 'ido). This works well for finding existing notes via org-roam-find-file, but when I want to insert a new entry, it doesn’t let me input spaces in the title, just hyphens. How can I fix this? Sorry if it’s really an ido problem, but I just thought I’d ask here.

Does M-SPC insert a space for you?

Doesn’t seem to work.

Wow. It is a difficult one…
It seems that C-q followed by a space works on my end.
But mine does not insert a hyphen with the space key – it tries to do completion, so maybe it’s a bit different set up from yours.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the C-q hint, I’ll just use that for now.

It’s clunky, isn’t it.

If there is no strong reason why you prefer to stick to Ido, Ivy or Helm would quickly resolve this problem (I use Ivy and it is painless).

If you prefer to stick to a built-in completion framework, I really like the way Prot uses Icomplete. I might follow his footsteps myself.

1 Like

I actually tried all the completion systems out there, and settled on ido. It’s simply the fastest for me. But thanks for the help and the suggestions!

1 Like

Hi @plato,

FYI. I was just browsing the source code (for something else, and remembered this exchange).

Source code of Ido tells me that SPC is bound to ido-complete-space.

The following should do the trick. I tried the second option; it worked on my machine; no reason why the first one would not work, as it is how Ido itself does it.

(define-key ido-common-completion-map " " 'self-insert-command)
or
(define-key ido-common-completion-map (kbd "SPC") 'self-insert-command)
1 Like