ROAM_TAGS causing file to disappear from the database?

Hi everyone,
I have what is probably a silly problem with an easy solution, but I really can’t figure it out.
I’ve been keeping reference notes and permanent notes in the same directory, and initially differentiating between the two by adding “paper_” or “book_” preceding a reference note.
I’ve since started trying to use ROAM_TAGS (because obviously that makes way more sense…) but after adding a #+ROAM_TAGS: bib after the #+title: line, I can no longer find the file using org-roam-find-file. The file is no longer matched, and if I type in the full title into the minibuffer, it just creates a new note with that title.
When I delete the ROAM_TAGS line, the note becomes accessible once again with org-roam-find-file. Does anyone have any clue as to what is going on here? Roam tags seem super useful and I’d love to get this sorted out.
Thank you!

1 Like

Did you try searching with prefix “bib” or “(bib)” — without the double quotation marks?

1 Like

Well, the problem isn’t that the tag doesn’t work, it’s that I can no longer open that file using M-x org-roam-find-file after adding a tag to it.

@nobiot Ok, I tried what you suggested and I now understand. Thank you! I think I just didn’t fully understand the behaviour of the roam_tags, and expected to be able to access the file by name the same way as I had before. The files are now visible, but only after I precede the file name with “(bib)”

1 Like

@ewag, for what is worth, I’m attaching a GIF to show how org-roam-find-file behaves on my PC. As you can see, I don’t have to “precede the file name with” a “(tag)” – in this example, I added a “test” as a tag to the first note you see.

I suspect the difference of behaviour between mine and yours may be related to the “completion engine”. I use Ivy.

2 Likes