How to use ROAM_TAGS and/or tags?

Long-time (though not sophisticated) emacs &org-mode user here.

In the docs, screencaps, etc. I see two formats of file-level tags: #+ROAM_TAGS and - tags :: . How are they different and how should they be used?

In particular, how would I search for all files with a given tag?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

4 Likes

The former is a new feature, and is real tag support. See the docs for the use cases, etc.

The latter is just a convention to list org-roam links.

Searching https://org-roam.readthedocs.io/en/master/ for “ROAM_TAGS” returns “No matching documents”. Where are the docs you mean?

2 Likes

https://org-roam.github.io/org-roam/manual/Tags.html#Tags mentions ROAM_TAGS briefly but does not describe usage.

Perhaps I should have said in my OP what I had seen in the docs.

2 Likes

How do I search for all files with a given tag?

AFAICT this usage is not described anywhere (including github repo, generated docs, readthedocs site, blogs).

2 Likes

If you have tags, they should show up in the minibuffer completions as such:

allowing you to filter for them.

1 Like

I just setup org-roam to use all-directories on tags for extraction, @jethro, but I don’t see the filtering you demonstrate.

Do I need to do something for org-roam to extract tags from existing notes?

2 Likes

You’ll probably need to clear your cache and rebuild (if you changed your tag sources), since unmodified files don’t get checked again

I got it working. I think I may have run into the straight/doom melpa update bug that periodically bites me.

Thanks. I’ll give it a go this weekend.

Do you mean #+ROAM_TAGS tags, - tags :: or plain old org-mode #+FILETAGS: tags?

The filtering functionality is enabled by the tagging functionality from #+ROAM_TAGS, but that’s not the only way to add tags.

-tags :: has no special meaning, those are just regular backlinks.

#+FILETAGS: is not used by Org-roam.

1 Like

So what are the other ways to add tags?

The 3 default supported means are mentioned in the docs: https://org-roam.github.io/org-roam/manual/Tags.html#Tags

1 Like

Thanks, so by default #+ROAM_TAGS is the only way to add tags. I’m not interested in using directory structure for tagging.

I’d be interested to know why you don’t use #+FILETAGS:.

Is there a way to do boolean tag searches, like

websites AND javascript

or

websites OR javascript

?

1 Like

If you use a completion engine like Ivy, I think it allows regex searches, so yes, if you really wanted to now. Will need to otherwise design a good UX for tag/link filtering first.

I was thinking of of just repurposing org-mode’s existing tag system, but now that you mention it, it doesn’t do completion while you’re building a boolean search. Over thousands of org-roam notes, I can imagine that this could become almost necessary.

I am only exploring this feature, and so far I love it. I use it for categorisation (when it’s really needed) of notes. On the contrary, I use plain org tags for agenda searches.

As example, when I create a note for a person it usually contains roam tag “Person” and this persons name as a file tag (so all todos in this file are tagged with this persons name). Now in other places I can tag tasks with this persons name. So as a result I am able to use org agenda to search for stuff related to this person. As additional bonus all tasks from the person file also have a category with this name (I have a helper that properly reads category from roam files, e.g. trims the id).

So roam tag is not used in agenda, but when I see a note in the list, I clearly understand that it’s about some person :slight_smile:

BTW, in order to save me manual editing of roam tags, I’ve create two helpers for adding and removing them. You can find it on GitHub.

3 Likes

Are you talking about #+ROAM_TAGS: format ?

Yes, exactly.