Opening Internal Links in The Same Window/Frame

Hey everyone, I’m so happy to have found this discourse. first I truly want to thank the creators of org-roam. It’s been such an amazing experience using it so far.

My question is more of a configuration than an issue with the package.

Hopefully it’s a quick fix, I haven’t yet been able to find an answer in the documentation, so any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Desired Behavior

When I click on an internal link to another org-roam file, I’d like for the window/frame to replace the current one.

Current Behavior

As a default when I open an internal link to another file, it splits my emacs windows into 2 (the new one under the other)

I understand how this might be useful, but I’d really like to be able to navigate through links in full window. Since I find myself maximizing the new window every time.

Version

Right now I’m using:

Spacemacs v.0.300.0,
with emacs 26.3
org-roam Version: 20200711.2142
org Version: 20200716

Although I come from vanilla emacs, so I do understand how regular emacs is configured.

With that said, I’m still fairly new to emacs, if there’s a way to achieve this through Emacs easy customization UI that’d be even better.

Once again I can’t say how thankful I am to the creators of this package. It really is the best package in emacs.

Hi, @santi-younger , welcome! I believe this has nothing to do with Org Roam, since it uses standard file: Org links. See the accepted answer on Stack Overflow on how to configure org-link behaviour.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

We’re working on it, and we’re tracking it in #920 GitHub. It’s tied to the side-buffer-revamp, so it’s on hold for the moment, but we’ll get to it eventually.

Perfect @zaeph I’ll keep track of that issue in github, appreciate your hard work!

@mshevchuk Thanks for directing me to accepted answer on Stack Overflow
The answer provided there did work for me as a workaround! Thank you

@santi-younger It’s not a workaround, it is the way the things are supposed to be configured in Org mode — since you are basically using org-mode, right?

If I understood correctly, @zaeph meant following links from the *Org-roam* buffer, while you meant following links from an “Org-roam” note. These are two separate things, of course.

1 Like