Logseq: FLOSS web outliner, compatible with Org Roam now

I just posted a comment in a thread about logseq/org-roam on Reddit and I’m sharing it here now since it would be nice to hear from other people who are using both logseq and org-roam.

Recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about how org-roam vs/plus logseq. I’ve been using org-roam almost since the beginning and I’m very happy with it. Just a few things missing that keep making me think of other tools such as logseq or Obsidian. Most importantly:

• not being restrained to Emacs: access on mobile, sharing/collaborating with others
  • queries: simple and powerful ways of querying like in logseq
  • transclusion: I’ve been using org-transclusion right from the start and I love it. Overall, the user experience still is more seamless in logseq in my view. I think making the org-roam buffer editable could be big boost on this front.

With that being said, I do want to stick with org-roam. I love living inside Emacs and org-mode and it’s invaluable to have all the editing and org-mode features natively available. Plus, I get to use org-babel and tables and all that good stuff.

So I’m now trying to stick with org-roam and use logseq on top whenever I need it. Currently, this is basically just for mobile use or when I want to access/edit my stuff on a different computer. I was really pleasantly surprised that most things work just fine:

• the org markup is okay
  • ID-based file and heading links work for following them in logseq
  • images get displayed inline
  • journal is compatible with my org-roam-dailies
  • org-agenda: when I add my org-agenda-files folder, it automatically provides me with a rudimentary agenda in the journal because it picks up all the dates

Two things don’t work yet (for me):

• Creating links from logseq creates file links instead of ID links to pages. I can follow those in org-mode, but it’s obviously not ideal. Links to “blocks” don’t follow the org-roam conventions.
  • logseq queries don’t work great. Basic queries work, but not the more interesting complex ones.

All in all, I’m happy to stick with org-roam. I view logseq as a nice “free” option on top. Also, the logseq developers are very active, so I’m hoping the compatibility will get even better in the future.

3 Likes