How to rename a note with everything updated at the same time?

For example, I have a note named AAA. It was linked by a note BBB. And now I want to rename AAA to ABC. But if I rename it in the file manger. It will not be updated in the org-roam-find-file buffer.

What is the correct way to rename the note and update the filename and the links together?

1 Like

Rename it within emacs using eg. dired. Org-roam notices when renaming happens within emacs and will update your links accordingly. If you do it through a file editor, it has no idea!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I tried your way.

1. I rename a file AAA to BBB in Dired.
  2. I org-roam-db-build-cache.
  3. I org-roam-find-file. There still the is AAA listed.\

I donā€™t know why.

Is this because the title is still AAA?

Rename the #+TITLE in your file and you should see the change in org-roam-find-file. You shouldnā€™t need to run org-roam-db-build-cache.

If you want the description of links in all of your org-roam files to reflect the TITLE change as well as the filename change ā€“ [[file:AAA.org][AAA]] to [[file:ABC.org][ABC]] ā€“ looking in the code I think if you rename TITLE first, and then rename the file through dired, your link descriptions should be updated also.

1 Like

Yes, it works. Thank you very much for the help. And I wish it will be mentioned in the future documentation.

1 Like

Yes. I do not know I need to rename the tiltle. So, I think the recommended rename procedure is as follows:

1. Rename the #+TITLE
  2. Rename the filename in Emacs(such as dired)

Can it truly change the Link Description to reflect the TITLE? I canā€™t get it to work when I rename TITLE + rename filename. It only changes the Link Filename.

I have links in my index and basically want their descriptions to update anytime I change the corresponding fileā€™s TITLE. Am I missing something?

Thatā€™s what it looked like when I went through the code awhile ago. Maybe something has changed or maybe I just didnā€™t read it correctly. I donā€™t have any time to go through it now, though ā€“ maybe @jethro or someone else could clarify?

Is there a way to rename the file automatically together with the title, instead of separating it into 2 steps?

The reason I ask is that my org-roam notes are always created through the capture, and the title of the file is created automatically based on the title of the note. It would be nice if the two were always linked, so that when the title is renamed, the file name is also renamed in the same way.

1 Like

If this is true, why you need to care about the name of the file?

From my experience, I do not need to access the file name.

Using capture, or org-roam-find-file is sufficient to navigate the roam notes.

Could you share your idea?

Well, searching with org-roam-find-file has also been sufficient for the most part. But I like the organization, and having things behave nicely with more common buffer- and file- searching functions would be nice. It certainly doesnā€™t hurt to have these things behave consistently.

Iā€™ve tried looking at other file based implementations like Sridā€™s neuron, and oddly enough this doesnā€™t seem to come up at all. It seems nobody is renaming the files, just editing the titles. I wonder whatā€™s causing this discrepancy.

This is not too difficult, but will always be brittle.

I think this is mainly because the default template contains the -${slug} part, in:

:file-name "%<%Y%m%d%H%M%S>-${slug}"

I name my notes with " <%Y%m%d%H%M%S>; I have no desire to align the noteā€™s filename with its title. For me, the timestamp in the filename is still useful to sort, search, and retrieve a specific note when needed, without the title.

Srid is explicit about his choice of how neuron generates ZettelID

Why does neuron use random alphameric IDs by default ? Because then you are not forced to think of a suitable slug when writing a new note. A noteā€™s title may change in future, so could a slug.

@jethro, I believe you could steer usersā€™ behaviour by changing the default template, if you would like.

This PR fixes it all for good:

Title updates reflect immediately on file save (but add some processing time to file save).

So the process goes like:

1. Change title and save
  2. Rename file within Emacs.

Dear All,
This is my first posting.
Notice
Unfortunately, the link to the ā€œdefault templateā€ is not displayed.
You will get a comment like this
The site configured at this address does not contain the requested file.
The link is broken.

I am changing the theme, is there a shortcut in org-roam to run org-roam-db-build-cache?
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU

P.S
ZettelID link is broken, too!

Sorry, @WAKA, I wonā€™t be able to fix all these broken links.
Like I said in the other post:

Itā€™s probably easy for you to do the following:

1. Refer to the manual in Emacs ( C-h i )
    If you are on Windows and use Doom, you may not easily have the in-system manual, if so, consider Option 2 below.
  2. Go to Org-roam User Manual, and find the page
    Search for the term you are looking for

Dear nobiot,
Thank you for your reply.
I used to use Emacs27.1.50 and org-roam-20210128.1341, org-roam-server-20210201.1122 via elpa.
At frequent intervals, I check a roam tree view with Firfox browser.
When I add a postscript, I need to rebuild org-roam-db-build-cache, again.
Is there a shortcut in org-roam to run org-roam-db-build-cache?
I am afraid, I could not find any shortcut in the Org-roam user manual, yet.
Please give me a piece of advice how can I use shortcut ?
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU

I donā€™t believe there is a default keybiding (keyboard shortcut) assigned to org-roam-db-build-cache. You can assign whatever shortcut you wish. Example: (define-key global-map (kbd "C-c n u") #'org-roam-db-build-cache). This is just an example. Please choose the keybinding that does not conflict with others that you have.

Dear nobiot,
Thank you for your reply.
I will try to find efficient key-binding.
Pardon the brevity of this note.
Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

1 Like