(Prototype) Org-marginalia: Write margin notes with Org Mode

That’s a good idea.

I’m not sure myself; was a legit question. I lean towards it being unnecessarily confusing, but as you say, if you submit to MELPA you can ask for feedback there.

1 Like

Do you have any news about that ? “name” and “MELPA”… just by curiosiy :wink:

No. I am taking care of other parts of my life at the moment. I am hoping to come back to Emacs in April/May time frame.

This is an excellent choice. Do what you have to do and come back in shape!

I’m open to name change. What should it be? org-marginal-notes?

Yes why not. Or “org-side-notes” ?

5 Likes

You’re doing great work. Kind of random here, could place it under the markdown extension or transclusion, too, but how will these customizations be parsed if i want to export stuff?

Thank you. What are “these customizations” you are referring to?

Is your question this: “How can I export the content of marginal notes I have created with using Org-marginalia together with the main file?” Then… One way is to use the include keyword. The marginal note file is just an ordinary Org file. See a demo image below.

In this image, the top main buffer shows “test.org”, the main note. You can see a highlighted part on top right. On the left, *marginalia* buffer shows a marginal note for it. The buffer at the bottom is an outcome of Org Export to a text buffer. You can see that the main note has an include, pointing to the headline shown on the left. The export result buffer shows the content of the margin note together with the rest of test.org (the included part highlighted).

Perhaps you are asking this? Or something different?

Yes exactly, (how) can I convert that into a „margin note“ in my html output or so – for a „digital garden“.
the more I customize org, the less the well documented tools work „outside emacs“.

Funny btw I’m just reading abt Bergson… by deleuze^^.

Happy 2022!

I am preparing to publish this package to ELPA. Based on the conversations in this thread, it is likely that I will change the name of the package and the GitHub repo to ” Org-remark ”. I have considered many other options, including org-comment, org-highlight, etc. but they have similar ones already used in the Emacs universe…

@bruce @bepolymathe and all the others, I’d love your comment and feedback on the name… The name does not have to be “perfect” but I would like to avoid confusion.

From a functionality perspective, I am adding some useful new stuff. Most notably, I will add different highlighter pen colors and a function (macro) to let you create different pens (an idea borrowed from John Kitchin’s Ov-highlight).

org-remark at the latest commit with the create-pen feature is already available in the dev/name-change branch of the GitHub repo.

Any comment/feedback are welcome :slight_smile:

Some images below to show case what this will be like.

Figure 1. You can create your own highlighter pens – Default is green. In this image, there are three additional “user-defined” pen functions: hide, bold-and-wavy-underline, and yellow in order of appearance.

These “pens” are just functions to add face and other text-properties. So they work as more than a highlighter pen. As an example, the hide pen (creation code shown at the top of the buffer in Figure 2 below) could be useful for memorizing for some key concepts and terms.

Figure 2. The user-defined “hide” pen hiding a word

Figure 3. The highlighter toggled off to show the word hidden by the “hide” pen.

User-defined pens can add “CATEGORY” property to the marginal-notes.org so that you can create a sparse tree to show only the categories you are interested in.

Figure 4. The bottom shows a sparse tree in of the marginal-notes.org for CATEGORY “Exame!” created by the “hide” pen

1 Like

I think the name works.

1 Like

Thanks!