Problem with cite:xxxx links during upgrade to roam v2

I finally managed to get all the pieces together for my org-roam2 on Doom-Emacs, using the new +roam2 flag in the doom init.el
Now I run the migration wizard and got a lot of messages like:

[...]/notes/reading/Wilber_2007_Up from Eden A Transpersonal View of Human Evolution.org:1	Invalid ref cite:KenWilber--2007, skipping...

This seems to choke on the org-ref cite links of the type cite:xxxx, which I used a lot to link between notes and bibliography. My questions are:
What does it mean? (It seems the files get converted, but not touching the cite:xxxx link). Does the rest of the file get converted where possible?
And secondly, what to do about it? Do I need to add some kind of configuration for roam2 to know about the cite links? My current config.el has this:

(after! org-ref
:config
(setq
        org-ref-completion-library 'org-ref-ivy-cite
        org-ref-get-pdf-filename-function 'org-ref-get-pdf-filename-helm-bibtex
        org-ref-default-bibliography zot_bib
        org-ref-bibliography-notes (concat org_notes "bibnotes.org")
        org-ref-note-title-format "* TODO %y - %t\n :PROPERTIES:\n  :Custom_ID: %k\n  :NOTER_DOCUMENT: %F\n :ROAM_KEY: cite:%k\n  :AUTHOR: %9a\n  :JOURNAL: %j\n  :YEAR: %y\n  :VOLUME: %v\n  :PAGES: %p\n  :DOI: %D\n  :URL: %U\n :END:\n\n"
        org-ref-notes-directory org_notes
        org-ref-notes-function 'orb-edit-notes
))

Any help appreciated,
Ctop

I had the same issue, and I solved it by making sure org-ref is loaded as soon as org-roam is:

(after! org-roam
    (require 'org-ref))

Ah, thank you, that is helpful. What did you do about the errors during the upgrade of existing notes? Did you run the wizard again?

For me these errors happened after the migration, and they went away when I loaded org-ref.