Org-roam-capture-templates vs org-roam-dailies-capture-templates

What is the difference between org-roam-capture-templates and org-roam-dailies-capture-templates. When does one use the former vs the later. Can someone please provide a use case?

1 Like

The former is for normal nota-taking. The latter is for dailies.

For an example use case, this section from the user manual might be relevant for you.

The “normal note-taking” I refer to above corresponds to Permanent notes; dailies correspond to fleeting notes as you can see in the paragraph.

Fleeting notes
A slip-box requires a method for quickly capturing ideas. These are called fleeting notes : they are simple reminders of information or ideas that will need to be processed later on, or trashed. This is typically accomplished using org-capture (see (org)Capture), or using Org-roam’s daily notes functionality (see Org-roam Dailies). This provides a central inbox for collecting thoughts, to be processed later into permanent notes.

Permanent notes
Permanent notes are further split into two categories: literature notes and concept notes . Literature notes can be brief annotations on a particular source (e.g. book, website or paper), that you’d like to access later on. Concept notes require much more care in authoring: they need to be self-explanatory and detailed. Org-roam’s templating system supports the addition of different templates to facilitate the creation of these notes.

Thanks @nobiot for the reply. I understand the level of details that are needed to be put in “normal note-taking” vs dailies note-taking are different but they both seems interchangeable to me. They both provide capturing templates that can be configured to ones desire. That is we can configure “org-roam-capture-templates” to “quickly capture idea” and configure “org-roam-dailies-capture-templates” for “Permanent notes”. Is my understanding correct? Or is there something that org-roam-capture-templates provides that we can’t get by using org-roam-dailies-capture-templates?

Probably correct. I suggest to use both of them; I believe you will find your own answer rather quickly.

I don’t use Dailies so I can only provide a general comment:

It’s usually (not always) best to use a tool for what it is specifically designed for.

Dailies is in the “extension” directory of the repository so it is currently considered optional; whereas the other note-taking tool set is the heart of Org-roam. I have seen some challenges other users experience to use and customize dailies to their needs – e.g. it may need some tweaks to do weeklies or monthlies. The standard tool gets more attention by Jethro and others.

Personally for me, as I don’t need tools for fleeting notes, I don’t really pay attention to the details of functional differences.

1 Like

Thank you.