Caching Passcodes for Symmetrical Encryption

I wish to be using org-roam to keep track of all my notes across my multiple computers. Since some of my notes contain sensitive information, I want to be encrypting my notes that are being shared between my computers with Dropbox. Encryption was easy, but it continuously asks me for my passphrase between saves of a file. Being a habitual saver, this gets annoying very quick.

This is a very new topic for me as I have never tried to encrypt my data prior to this. I’m doing a lot of learning as I go. I wish to be doing a symmetrical encryption, so I wish to be caching the passphrase I use.

Here are the steps I’ve taken to try and solve this…

First, enabling encryption for new org-roam files.
(setq org-roam-encrypt-files t)

Simple, and my new files are automatically becoming encrypted. Now, I want to be setting up gpg and gpg-agent.

Following instructions from Caching Passphrases… I’ve done the following to set up gpg-agent.

~ $ cat ~/gpg-agent.conf
default-cache-ttl 3600
max-cache-ttl 3600

And for gpg config…

~ $ cat ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf 
use-agent

Then, after a reboot of gpg-agent, my understanding is that gpg agent should be caching my passphrase for an hour.

Has anyone else done this task? Is there some steps I’m missing.

I think GPG expects the file to be located in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf. But I’m not absolutely sure that’s a requirement.