! Attempt to load DOOM failed (config.el (emacsql-error near line 21: cannot rollback - no transaction is active))

I’m using Doom on Debian Buster with Emacs 26.3. doom doctor gives the following error:

! Attempt to load DOOM failed
(config.el (emacsql-error near line 21: cannot rollback - no transaction is active))

I have sqlite3 installed at /usr/bin/sqlite3

I am basically following Ian Jones config at Own Your Second Brain: Set Up org-roam on Your Own Machine

What is the most likely cause of this error and how can I fix it?

I have a feeling it’s specific to Doom (or less likely, Debian)

I’m on Doom at the latest commit 46d6d0b on Windows. No such error.

Perhaps you are using +roam flag?
You might like to try using (package!) and putting config directly in your config.el – this is how I use Org-roam in Doom. If this works, then perhaps you can get help from the Doom community regarding the +roam flag.

1 Like

Your Doom installation is likely broken, it happens from time to time for independent reasons.

You need to tame Doom and for that you need patience. The best way to cope with Doom problems is to remove .local/straight/build from your Doom installation directory and run doom upgrade. I call it a soft reset. Sometimes it does not help and you need to purge .local/straight – a hard reset. Also don’t forget to delete any autoloads files. In an extreme case, consider reinstalling Doom altogether.

If you are still to experience the issue after the above steps, some additional information about your configuration would be very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for those who have replied. I ended up copying Jethro Kuan’s config with a few tweaks and it is working well now. https://gitlab.com/gluesniffmonkey/dotdoom

1 Like