Package dedicated to workflows publishing digital garden on web

Hiya! @reyman shared this post with me and I thought I’d share a bit about a project I’ve been building called Firn.

Soon after discovering Org-Roam I wanted a tool that could generate a site from it, so I built a static site generator built for Org mode. Firn tries to solve some of the problems that I needed, similarly mentioned around here, including how to make work a mixture of private and public files. Here’s how I do things.

• I keep my wiki in a private repo.
  • Private files state in a private folder, that Roam is able to index and Firn is able to ignore.
  • Files can also be marked private in the in-buffer-setting using #+FIRN_PRIVATE.
  • Public files may also link to private files, but I’m ok with that happening.

Firn also solves the problem of being able to render what I want from an org file. It provides a site-map, a basic “template engine” which includes the abilities to target exact headings within a file to render. This works for me, as the large majority of my notes mix private and public content; for example, my file french.org is for taking notes on learning french. The information that I want public is all under a headline called “notes”, which I call to render it in my layout.

Not sure if that’ll be of much use to anyone else, but that’s how things are working for now! I’ve got some things in the pipeline to build still, including site-wide tags that leverage org-roam tags as well as creating a link-graph / back links section based on the parsed org-files.

7 Likes