Org-capture: Capture template ‘d’: Buffer name <file> is in use

Whenever I run org-roam-node-find and enter a new note, the buffer doesn’t show up, and I just get the message: org-capture: Capture template ‘d’: Buffer name ‘CAPTURE-20231121100954-foo.org’ is in use The buffer is opened but I have to switch to it manually. Isn’t it usually opened automatically? This is my entire roam config. I just copied it from the docs:

(use-package org-roam
  :ensure t
  :custom
  (org-roam-directory (file-truename "~/git/.../roam/"))
  :bind (("C-c n l" . org-roam-buffer-toggle)
         ("C-c n f" . org-roam-node-find)
         ("C-c n g" . org-roam-graph)
         ("C-c n i" . org-roam-node-insert)
         ("C-c n c" . org-roam-capture)
         ;; Dailies
         ("C-c n j" . org-roam-dailies-capture-today))
  :config
  ;; If you're using a vertical completion framework, you might want a more informative completion interface
  (setq org-roam-node-display-template (concat "${title:*} " (propertize "${tags:10}" 'face 'org-tag)))
  (org-roam-db-autosync-mode)
  ;; If using org-roam-protocol

I don’t see anything inside custom.el.

There is an unresolved issue on this forum that seems to report the same problem.

From a quick glance, the config does not look like it is a cause of the issue you experience. I have never had this issue and cannot reproduce it on my end.

As your “roam config” does not seem to be the source of the problem, it is likely that the source of your problem is elsewhere, including: other parts of your personal configuration, unreleased Org version, Emacs version, any interaction of these. A couple of comments / questions:

• Do you use Doom Emacs?
  • custom.el is not used by Emacs without configuration – do you use any other Emacs configuration / framework?
  • What’s your Emacs version?
  • What’s your Org version?
  • What other configuration you have? Especially Org related or buffer name related (the issue seems to be that when you do org-roam-node-find to capture a new note, the buffer name is already present for some reason and you cannot create another buffer with the same name)

I found the issue, described here: Capture template is in use - #2 by rchtnheu
Thanks!

1 Like