Increasing the text size of the side panel

Hello,

I would like to increase the text size of the side panel. I wrote a function to do that, but I have no idea how to call it when org-roam-buffer-toggle is activated. Is there a way to do it without hacking the org-roam code? Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

(defun org-roam-buffer-increase ()
       "stub to increase the side buffer"
       (interactive)
       (save-excursion
         (set-buffer org-roam-buffer)
         (text-scale-adjust +1)))

Org-roam-mode-hook?

1 Like

I tried but it is way, way above my beginner’s ability. This is the code I put in:

(interactive)
      (when (get-buffer org-roam-buffer)
        (save-excursion
          (text-scale-adjust +1))))
    (add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook (org-roam-buffer-increase))

but every time I open the side buffer I get “Symbol’s function definition is void: nil”.

I found a solution though. It works well enough for me. Instead of calling org-roam-buffer-toggle when I call my function, I include org-roam-buffer-toggle in the function and bind “C-c n l” to my function.

(use-package org-roam
    :quelpa (:upgrade t)
    :after org
    :ensure t
    :init
    (setq org-roam-v2-ack t)
    ;; for org-roam-buffer-toggle
    (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
                 '("\\*org-roam\\*"
                   (display-buffer-in-direction)
                   (direction . right)
                   (window-width . 0.33)
                   (window-height . fit-window-to-buffer)))
    :custom
    :config
    (org-roam-bibtex-mode +1)   ;; starts org-roam-bibtex-mode to make Helm-bibtex use Org-roam
    (defun my/org-roam-buffer-increase ()
      "stub to increase the side buffer text size"
      (interactive)
      (org-roam-buffer-toggle)
      (save-excursion
        (text-scale-adjust +1)))
    :bind 
    (("C-c n l" . my/org-roam-buffer-increase)
  )

@nobiot

Thank you again for helping me out and for all the work you are doing.

Oh, I see. No it should be the other around

I don’t use use-package which has its own syntax to use :hook. But for plain Elisp, you can simply put something like this outside the function definition:

(add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook 'org-roam-buffer-increase)

This should call org-roam-buffer-increase function when org-roam-mode is enabled (this should be when you open the backlinks buffer). I believe it should be every time you open a new one but cannot be sure.

For some convention, some people add “#” to symbols to indicate functions as in (add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook #'org-roam-buffer-increase) I don’t see any benefit with doing it – with/without “#” just works fine.

e.g. I have this in my config:

(add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook #'olivetti-mode)

If you use hooks this way, I believe you don’t have to find and set org-roam-buffer explicitly – the function would just work on the “current-buffer”, which should be the org-roam-buffer in question – you can easily find out if this is true or not…

1 Like

@nobiot
Ah, I confused the syntax between use-package and (add-hook)! Thank you for clarifying how the hook system works! So, I experimented a bit and learned a lot.

I tried add-hook first, and it works:

(interactive)
      (when (get-buffer org-roam-buffer)
        (save-excursion
          (text-scale-adjust +1))))
    (add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook #'org-roam-buffer-increase)

You said:

… and indeed, you are right. If I do this, it works as well:

"stub to increase the text in the side buffer"
      (interactive)
      (text-scale-adjust +1))
    (add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook #'org-roam-buffer-increase)

Then, I thought that I could avoid writing the function all together and use an anonymous function, and also this works:

(add-hook 'org-roam-mode-hook (lambda () (text-scale-adjust +1)))

Finally, I tried to use use-package syntax, in this way. This is unsuccessful. No error message, but the text size does not change:

:hook
      (org-roam-mode-hook . (lambda () (text-scale-adjust +1)))

Overall, I am quite happy. I can solve my problem in several possible ways and I learned something new. Thank you.

1 Like

This is impressive! I don’t believe you never coded in any language before. I took me very long to get my head around lambda

You might want to remove the -hook suffix when using use-package :hook function

So it should be:

:hook (org-roam-mode . (lambda () (text-scale-adjust +1)))

In case you might want to read about the use-package Hooks:

2 Likes

@nobiot
The only code I wrote is a bit of shell code and I also used a scripting language from a scientific imaging software. Nothing more than few lines of code. I don’t know why, but elisp clicks with my weird brain, I tried so many times to learn coding from reading books and always failed miserably. With elisp, I look at code written by people like you, and I almost get it, and more I read it and more I get it. It is bizarre and I can’t understand why it is like this for me.

I saw the anonymous function used in init.el of some org-mode guru and it stuck with me, That’s all.

@QingshuiZheng I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I looked at the documentation several times, and I never noticed that in :hook you are supposed to remove “-hook” from the variable name. I am really grateful that you took the time to read my post and respond with the correct suggestion. I learned something, thanks to you. Of course, the code now works perfectly.

To summarize, if a org-roam user would like to change the size of the text in the side buffer, the most concise way to do it in the use-package framework, is the code shown in @QingshuiZheng above message. This is what I have included in my init file. Thank you again both to @nobiot and @QingshuiZheng . This community is amazing.