Chrome extension to automatically navigate to node of current webpage

I usually have at least 2 monitors when I work, one open to my browser (currently Chrome) and one open to Emacs. It would be cool if I could see if I’ve taken notes on a page before whenever I visit a page.

I’m envisioning a simple Chrome extension that uses an org-protocol handler to navigate to nodes that match the current page’s URL. It’s probably a good idea to do some canonicalization - strip anchor and possibly URL query parameters by default before doing the match - but that would be good to customize by domain or something.

Semantic Synchrony (SmSn) might be a useful reference for anybody who wants to code this. SmSn, the frontend of which uses and is written in Emacs, has a Chrome plugin. From Chrome it lets you create a new node in your graph with an often appropriate (and always editable) title, and associates the URL with the node. From SmSn, if your cursor is on a node with an associated URL (which shows in a different font), it lets you jump to that page in Chrome.

1 Like

This looks really useful - thanks! I need to update this code a little to support extracting URLs from :ROAM_REFS: in a way promnesia supports - right now it only reads the URLs from the body.

Looks like this got fixed just recently - I’m going to install from Git instead of PyPI and check it out.