Show O-R-D: My system for capturing TODOs

Hello friends, 260 of whom share the “1 year anniversary” badge with me :slight_smile:

I came up with a way of capturing my thoughts and todos and such that occur to me throughout that regrettable but essential part of the day when I’m not sitting in front of my Emacs window.

I use the Gmail Android app on my phone. My phone is almost always with me. When I think of something I don’t want to forget, I create an email, if I don’t already have one, and email it to myself. If other things occur to me throughout the day, I respond to that email. until I end up with something like this:

Then, sometime when I’m back on my laptop, I select all the contents of the most recent reply, and copy them.

Then I go into Emacs and put point at whatever place I’d like those entries to be added as TODOs, and press my keybinding for this function:

(defun gpc/copy-todos-from-email ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "DONE"))))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (clipboard-yank)
      (mark-whole-buffer)
      (flush-lines "gcoladon")
      (mark-whole-buffer)
      (flush-lines "^$")
      (org-mode)
      (mark-whole-buffer)
      (org-ctrl-c-star)
      (mark-whole-buffer)
      (org-metaright)
      (mark-whole-buffer)
      (org-todo)
      (kill-ring-save (point-min) (point-max))))
  (yank))

Which results in this:

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 12.37.05 PM

While I readily admit this is not elegant or clever in any way, I find this to be a rather simple solution to this problem that was painless both to create and to use. I welcome people’s thoughts on this approach.

1 Like

Nice. Simplicity is good.
what does O-R-D mean? Org-roam something?

Org-Roam-Discourse :slight_smile: That’s the name I use for this place

1 Like

Have you tried Orgzly + Syncthing? If yes, how would you compare the two methods?

I have not, but I will make a note to look into them sometime, thank you for the reference. I think I’ve heard of them but never considered them.