Org-paste-subtree makes broken links when pasting into different directory

I use dailies extensively and have templated structures I use for various things (morning/evening routines, deliberate practice, various kinds of meetings, etc). Some of the structures have links. The problem I’m having is that org-copy-subtree / org-paste-subtree doesn’t seem to work well if the source and destination are different paths. I could change org to have absolute links, but that seems like it both leaks info about what the org dir is, which makes portability across machines somewhat annoying. This seems like so common a thing that it must already be addressed by someone, but a moderate googling didn’t come up with anything. Any suggestions?

I don’t recall this particular issue of “broken relative link path due to copy-and-paste” discussed in this forum—certainly I would need to invite others to comment. There were many discussions on challenges around keeping links intact after changing titles/filenames—a different issue, I think.

I am guessing using Org-ID for links could be a solution for your issue?

I meant rather that someone somewhere must have had this issue, and indeed, your ID suggestion was perfect. Thanks so much

I guess the authors of Org had this issue. That’s why they created IDs.

I use dailies extensively and have templated structures I use for various things (morning/evening routines, deliberate practice, various kinds of meetings, etc).

Off-topic, but if you have any means of depersonalizing (to whatever extent you consider sufficient) your dailies use cases and templates, I’d love to see them.